Menu

Login above

Forge hookup to house propane tank

• November 07, 2020 9:09 PM
    Message # 9350864
    Deleted user

Is anyone else running their propane forge on a whole-house propane tank?

I've got a my forge setup from propane bottles, but that's pretty expensive propane.  My house has a 400 gallon tank next to it, but I can't find a regulator to use with the forge.  Specifically, the regulator I have goes from bottle pressure (130psi approx) to variable 0-15 psi.  The line I have into the garage (from the house propane tank) is 15psi.  Can I use the same regulator?  I feel like I would need a different one.  Has anyone done this?  Thanks.

• November 08, 2020 8:44 AM
    Reply # 9351307 on 9350864

When we were running our blacksmithing school on one large propane tank I did some of the plumbing. The main tank has a regulator to the tank out flow line. Yours outflow line now goes to your house. You need to install a Tee to go to the forge in the out flow line and then you would use the same regulator you have now. A different one is not needed. You unscrew the fitting for a propane tank from the regulator and screw the regulator into the out flow line. We also installed shut off valves between the out flow line and the regulator for each forge as well as one at the start of the out flow line.

However, you will need to pull a permit and get it inspected to make sure what you are doing is actually permitted in your area. In Los Angeles the permit can be pulled on line and the inspection appointment is make at the same time. 

• November 08, 2020 12:04 PM
    Reply # 9351505 on 9350864
    Deleted user

Thanks Gary. The problem is that my propane tank has a 2-stage regulator on it.  The first stage is on the tank itself and steps from tank pressure (150psi or so, if it's similar to bottle pressure) down to 15psi.  The main gas line from the tank to the house is 15psi, and a second regulator at the house takes it down to 1/2 psi for the internal appliances.

I actually put the line and tee in already (from the 15 psi side of the 2nd regulator) and it's capped off.  However, since it's supply is now 15psi instead of 130 psi (from propane bottles), I'm thinking I need a different regulator.  My propane supplier requires the 2-stage system, so there's no way I can get tank pressure at the house.

Any ideas?

• November 09, 2020 6:41 AM
    Reply # 9352809 on 9350864

We also had the same setup on our main propane tank. 15 psi was being sent to the forges (4 of them) and the regulators on the forges did the adjusting from 0-15. Regulators work to a set point, they are not proportional. The one on your forge will be able to adjust the pressure from 0-15 as long as it is getting 15 from the line that goes to it. 

• November 09, 2020 10:07 AM
    Reply # 9353327 on 9350864
    Deleted user

Gary, you rock!  Thank you.  I didn't want to just try it for fear of damaging something (or blowing up by shop with me in it -- admittedly a low probability, but with disastrous consequences.)  I had done enough research on regulators to be pretty sure they could handle a variety input pressures.  With your comments as well, I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.

California Blacksmith Association

5505 Santa Cruz Ave.

Richmond, CA  94804

Copyright ©2024 California Blacksmith Association. All Rights Reserved.     

Legal Notices